Sunday, November 27, 2011

I love the Amana Colonies!

by Dena Tollefson
http://www.denatollefson.com/

I have always loved the Amanas. Growing up in Iowa, the Amana Colonies and the rich history of the farming community were part of our fabric.  I remember going to the Ox Yoke Inn for dinner on special occasions. Maybe its also because it touches on my German history (my dad Dietrich Schaefer immigrated from Germany to the US in the 1950's).  It is a pleasure to paint the traditional barns and buildings of the Amana. I love how quiet East Amana is- it is mostly residential. The barns at the entrance to East Amana greet you as you drive up the steep entrance perpendicular to the railroad tracks. Pictured below is my newest painting, "East Amana Barn, Late Summer".



"East Amana Barn, Late Summer" Oil on Canvas Board 18"x14" copyright 2011 Dena Tollefson
  I began with a canvas toned in yellow ochre and painted a full oil underpainting on-site with my new plein air pochade box from Guerrilla Painter (I highly recommend the Large French Resistance size as it is flexible to fit many canvas sizes). It was a windy day and a few clumps of dried grass flew on to the canvas- had to pick them out with the palette knife. Due to the wind this time I allowed the underpainting to dry and then finished the Daubism piece back in my studio. I have experimented with doing a full underpainting and Daubism technique on site as a total plein air piece with no work in the studio, it is a little trickier but absolutely works- just have to be careful I don't smear anything when transporting back home, and hope for no wind or light wind. Lots of paper towels on hand helps too!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Lady,

    Gorgeous post. I loved hearing about your personal attachment to the Amanas. I feel the same way. As for the painting? LOVE!!! But, you already knw that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and evocative painting. We went to Cedar Rapids last week to check out the airport for a flight to Arizona to see the Grands. Lunch time we stopped on the way home in the Amanas. What fun and, of course, without the bustle of summer crowds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Mary!
    There is something about Amana which feels almost magical- like a person is transported back to a simpler time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind words, Troutbirder! I checked out your blog- very neat! My husband is a big birder too. Looks like you have been all over the United States in your birding quest. Take care and thank you again for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete