Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Corn Series Exhibit

by Dena Tollefson
http://www.denatollefson.com/

I am preparing for an exhibit for the Marion Arts Council at the Lowe Center for the Arts. The exhibit features Iowa artists Paul Monska, Abby Jones and Dena Tollefson, running from May 22-July 26th 2010.  An artist's reception with art talk from Paul, Abby and Dena, open to the public, runs 6PM-7:30PM on June 3, 2010. I hope to see you there!

Our exhibit is titled "Energy, Light and Color". I will be showing 25 pieces from my Abstracts Series and Corn Series. I'll talk in this post about the Corn Series. Next post will describe intentions behind the Abstracts Series.

"Corn III: Attraction" Original Oil on Canvas 24"x30" Copyright 2008 Dena Tollefson

The Corn Series focuses on corn as people: what would they be like if they were really human? How would human emotions be carried out by the corn?  I have had a lot of fun doing these paintings. There are 9 of them in all, 7 done as smooth botanicals, 2 done in my Daubism (pointillism) style.

"Rapunzel" Original Oil on Canvas 48"x24" Copyright 2010 Dena Tollefson


"Addonis" Original Oil on Canvas 24"x30" Copyright 2010 Dena Tollefson

On these smooth paintings, I am focusing on the curve of each kernel- how the light hits it, how each one is unique and how they sit next to one another. On the Daubism paintings of corn, I focus more on the color play and work to build up a texture following the contours of each kernel, the corn silk, the husk.

"Leonardo" Original Oil on Canvas 22" X 28" Copyright 2010 Dena Tollefson





No comments:

Post a Comment