Friday, July 30, 2010

What's in a Name?

by Dena Tollefson
http://www.denatollefson.com/

How did you name that painting?  Naming a painting can be a lot of fun. I have been naming my little insect paintings (ladybugs, dragonflies, & bumblebees) after relatives and people I know.

Dragonfly Victor, for example, is named after Victor Newman on Young and the Restless (this is rather pathetic, I know, but I can't help myself as I feel I know Victor after watching him so long on TV- it is almost as though he is a member of the family!). Have named Ladybug Ida and Ladybug Hilbert after Tante Ida and Uncle Hilbert who lived in Wisconsin from my mother's side. Same with Ladybug Lydia, named after my grandmother Lydia Gnewuch. Ladybug Betsy is named after Elizabeth Rhoads Reed, an artist friend of mine. Friends Angie Rohret and Joanne Mauck inspired Ladybug on a Daisy Angie and Ladybug Joanne.


Dragonfly Victor 10"x8" Oil on Canvas Copyright 2010 Dena Tollefson

No comments:

Post a Comment